Learning Vision used same caterer as the other two
A THIRD preschool which has its meals supplied by Mum’s Kitchen Catering has been hit by food poisoning. Eight children from Learning Vision @ Raffles Place fell sick after having seafood marinara pasta in school on May 10. When contacted yesterday, the school’s spokesman said the children developed a fever, vomited and had diarrhoea a day after the meal; one was hospitalised for a night. All eight have since recovered. To date, 235 children and 12teachers have been hit by symptoms of food poisoning, including vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fever, after eating meals provided by the caterer.
The first cases cropped up on May 10 at Pat’s Schoolhouse, where some children had eaten a meal of seafood spaghetti. Children from a second preschool, The Children’s Place in Kay Siang Road, fell victim soon after, with 22 students and eight teachers falling ill. The children from Pat’s Schoolhouse were mostly aged two to six, and were from six centres in Halifax Road, Lim Ah Pin Road, Whitley Road, Claymore Road, Mount Emily and Jalan Ulu Siglap. Those with more serious symptoms and who had to be hospitalized came mainly from the Halifax Road and Lim Ah Pin Road centres.
Learning Vision’s spokesman said the affected children at its centre were first diagnosed as having stomach flu, and then re-classified as food-poisoning cases. In a statement yesterday, the Ministry of Health said that in all, 34 people were hospitalised and 14 have since been discharged. Most have recovered from the bout of illness.
The ministry added that preliminary analysis of the data from the cases at Pat’ Schoolhouse and The Children’s Place fitted the ministry’s definition of food poisoning. The licence of Mum’s Kitchen Catering has been suspended by the National Environment Agency pending the outcome of investigations.