It was not my intention to go vegetarian, nor did I ever succeed in being one. Meat is just too tough to bite and chew, not to mention swallowing it. Eventually I forget about meat in my diet almost totally. For protein intake, instead of meat, beans are a good choice. Red beans are for blood, black beans for kidneys and green beans for detox, soy beans for lots of benefits which I do not know how to name. Anyway, red bean soup are very good for health, and a better choice for me. Besides giving me the protein, they are also rich in minerals, vitamins, fibre, etc. Anyway, I believe red bean soup are good for my body, and will do no harm if taken in moderation.
- Red beans 100 g
- White fungus 1/6 of whole piece
- Lotus seeds
- Lily bulb
- Tangerine skin
- Brown rock sugar
- Soak white fungus and red beans overnight
- Soak lotus seeds and lily bulbs for 30 minutes
- Remove the centre core of lotus seeds, which can be bitter
- Cut white fungus into small pieces.
- Place all ingredients except rock sugar into saucepan. Boil and lower heat to cook for 1 hour. When the red beans are soft enough, add rock sugar and off heat.
- This red bean soup dessert can be served warm or cool.
- White fungus is so chewy and pleasant to bite. I just fall in love with it. Lotus seeds and lily bulbs are good for lungs. Although I do not know how to describe the benefits in English, the ingredients are really good. My body can accept it easily. Good food can be so simple to cook and affordable.